Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Server Times Out on "Find Existing Customer"

Contour is offline Junior Member

Default Server Times Out on "Find Existing Customer"

Hi -

I just started experiencing a new problem - when searching for an existing customer in the phone order section, my server times out and I receive an error message. This feature has worked for the last year, and I have not made any new changes concerning our server, host, or software. The result is the same no matter which data element I search.

I hope someone else may have experienced this and can provide advice.

Here is the first part of the error:
    Server Error in '/' Application.
    Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.
    Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.

Source Error:

Line 111: SQLText.Text = sql;
    Line 112: //SQLText.Visible = true;
    Line 113: DataSet ds = DB.GetDS(sql, false);
    Line 114: GridView1.DataSource = ds;
    Line 115: GridView1.DataBind();

George the Great is offline Senior Member

If there haven't been any changes to anything (environment or application...and you're 100% sure), then the only other thing that could have occurred is that the subset of data you are trying to retrieve has finally grown too large for your existing environment/resources to calculate and return the data in a timely fashion. I would start with sql profiler to see where the connection to sql is getting hung up, and would probably start looking at a way to archive old data to trim out some of the records that are no longer necessary. As always...additional resources can't hurt either
    <a href="http://www.aspdotnetstorefront.com">Shopping Cart Software</a>