Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Event Tracking with Google Analytics

chazandchaz is offline Member

Smile Event Tracking with Google Analytics

I saw GA released event tracking to all last thursday (http://analytics.blogspot.com/2009/0...le-in-all.html).

Has anyone implemented this with the Event Tracker in ASPDNSF.

I was able to use it manually on some pages but haven't used the Event Tracker in the ADMIN section.

Is there going to be an addition to the Manual, maybe and KB article?

Chaz.

chazandchaz is offline Member

Okay. So, I started playing around with the Event Handling in ASPDNSF there doesn't seem to be an easy way to incorporate the Analytics event tracking code into it. I might just have to hard code it.

Anyone else playing around with this feature?

Chaz.

nickelbob is offline Junior Member

Default Event Tracking attempt

Hi,

I'm currently having a little luck attaching an event to the "add to cart" button. I modified the code that generates the button in shoppingcart.cs (line 9050 for me) to call some javascript function doGoogleAnalyticsAdd(). Then my function looks like this -

Code:
    var skus = new Array();
    var prices = new Array();

<xsl:for-each select="/root/Products/Product">
            skus[<xsl:value-of select="VariantID" />] = "<xsl:value-of select="SkuSuffix" />";
    	prices[<xsl:value-of select="VariantID" />] = "<xsl:value-of select="Price" />";
    </xsl:for-each>

function doGoogleAnalyticsAdd()
    {
    	_gaq.push(['_trackEvent', 'SHOPPING', 'ADD_TO_CART', skus[theForm.VariantID_<xsl:value-of select="/root/Products/Product/ProductID" />_<xsl:value-of select="$defaultVariant" />.value], prices[theForm.VariantID_<xsl:value-of select="/root/Products/Product/ProductID" />_<xsl:value-of select="$defaultVariant" />.value]]);
    }
    It's acting funny though - it only triggers the function doGoogleAnalyticsAdd() when I push the button, press back in my browser, then push the button again. Also, when it does work, it doesn't load the shopping cart page like it should.

I'll report back if I find out how to get it to work.
    Last edited by nickelbob; 05-31-2012 at 01:29 PM.

nickelbob is offline Junior Member

Instead of attaching the onclick event in the html code (shoppingcart.cs) you'll want to do it at runtime like so

Code:
    //Make the first shoe the default
    $("document").ready(function() {
           $("#addToCartControls .AddToCartButton").on("click", function() {doGoogleAnalyticsAdd();var selectedVariant = document.getElementById('variantSelect').value;ValidateVariant(selectedVariant, null);});
    });
    Make sure you're not replacing any pre-attached onclick functions as by default aspdnsf uses a few functions to validate the form when items are added to the cart. In my case, these are the lines of code

Code:
    var selectedVariant = document.getElementById('variantSelect').value;ValidateVariant(selectedVariant, null);
    found after my custom event function "doGoogleAnalyticsAdd".
    Last edited by nickelbob; 06-04-2012 at 12:21 PM.