Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Auto Log in New User

MattC is offline Junior Member

Default Auto Log in New User

I'm a newbie and I want to direct my developers to modify an existing 'add new customer' routine, which is convoluted at the moment. ASPDN is now connected to a Learning Management System (LMS) via a combination of the ASPDN and LMS' WSI, and as I mentioned the workflow needs 'tuning'.

In order to purchase, the new customer must be created in both the LMS and ASPDN, and logged in to ASPDN to view and shop.

Starting from the storefront:
    1. The new customer self registers on LMS via LMS WSI (existing & working). This LMS WSI is exposed within the ASPDN site.
    2. The LMS automatically adds the new customer to ASPDN (existing & working)
    3. Here is where we are stuck: Although the new account is created in both the LMS and ASPDN, the new user is not yet logged into ASPDN yet, and therefore can not shop
    4. What I want to know is: what is the best way to refresh/redirect the users browser to automatically log them in to ASPDN now that the account is created?
    5. NOTE: After the successful LMS account creation, the LMS WSI provides a message back that would be the trigger to refresh ASPDN and start the log in process

I have not found a ASPDN WSI that logs a user in, either that or I'm looking right at it.

I hope I've been reasonably clear, thank you in advance!

GCR is offline Junior Member

I'm interested in this answer also, so I'm bumping the thread.

I'm trying to do something similar and I'm running into basically the same problem.

I'm programatically adding customers and programmatically adding items to their shopping cart, but I need to get them "logged in" so I can check them out, but I can't find a way to log them in.

Thanks,
    Jay.

allstar is offline Member

Bump... I'm also interested...
    ...AllStar

jsimacek is offline Senior Member

This gets rather tricky, as with WSI you cannot create a user session as such, but you said you have the ability to do a redirect back to AspDotNetStorefront? One of the ways of doing this is exposing an autologin.aspx page that would take a GUID as a query parameter and login the user based on the GUID. You should hide this autologin page unders some random name though so it's not easy to find. The GUID as an identifier of a customer might be your best bet as anything else is much too easy to "fake".
    Jan Simacek - Compunix, LLC
    AspDotNetStorefront trusted Devnet Partner and Reseller since 2005

AspDotNetStorefront Mods and Add-Ons at http://www.ecommercecartmods.com/
    - Searching, Filtering and Sorting (like cSearch, Dealer Locator, Price Ranges, Blog)
    - Reports (like Cart Abandonment and Net Sales)
    - Customer Experience (like Question/Answers)
    - Site and Data Management (like Entity Product Mapper, Bulk Updaters, Make/Model/Year filters)

brianperry is offline Member

Default also interested

was this ever figured out?

jsimacek is offline Senior Member

We have done it via custom routes several times (each customer needed it little differently), but yes, we can customize your cart for this issue. My email is at jsimacek@compunix.us, thank you.
    Jan Simacek - Compunix, LLC
    AspDotNetStorefront trusted Devnet Partner and Reseller since 2005

AspDotNetStorefront Mods and Add-Ons at http://www.ecommercecartmods.com/
    - Searching, Filtering and Sorting (like cSearch, Dealer Locator, Price Ranges, Blog)
    - Reports (like Cart Abandonment and Net Sales)
    - Customer Experience (like Question/Answers)
    - Site and Data Management (like Entity Product Mapper, Bulk Updaters, Make/Model/Year filters)