Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Shipping Estimator - Show all methods for UPS Realtime

HomeSecStore is offline Junior Member

Default Shipping Estimator - Show all methods for UPS Realtime

Hey All,

I'm customizing Storefront to show all methods returned by UPS Realtime in the shipping estimator. I found the control itself in the ASPDNSFControls module, but it and the code that calls it are fairly specialized to display just the lowest cost option. Before I jump in, I thought I'd see if any of you ASPDNSF gurus could comment on how you would approach this customization. Create a new control in ASPDNSFControls to handle it? Use the same control, but load it differently? Bypass ASPDNSFControls altogether? Call cart.GetShippingMethodList() from shoppingcart.aspx.cs to load it or create a new specialized function?

I realize there are MANY ways to skin this cat, but how would you (the folks that created Storefront) do it?

Thanks!

Kevin @ Home Security Store

MarkC is offline Developer

If you want the shipping method as part of the table display, then you might want to edit the ShippingAndTaxEstimateTableControl.cs.
    If you're just interested in shipping method, one quick way to do it just add a dropdownlist inside the estimator panel on shoppingcart.aspx, that will hold the available shipping methods. We expose the shipping methods through a collection of ShippingMethod objects, which can be directly binded into the dropdownlist.
    The assignment of the freight value happens on the SetupShippingAndEstimateControl routine on the shoppingcart.aspx code-behind. That function can be overloaded to pass the preferred shippingmethod instead and also the available shipping methods.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Soulfire86 is offline Junior Member

To be honest, we thought all the Shipping Estimator code was SO immensely convoluted just to end up being crap anyways.

So I opted to just remove it and make our own from scratch....and it's so much more awesome. I mean pretty much the way the built in one works is creating a fake way of doing it with a real address. Our way instead just creates a temporary address...the only thing the customer has to enter is their Zip Code, the state and city are found via a ZipCodeDatabase we have. We then inject our temporary address instance down through the functions via overloads and it returns a dropdown of ALL available options.

We call it the Shipping Exactimator, since it is the actual cost, not an estimator at all.

You can check it out at FreshWaterSystems.com
    8.0.1.1 ML C# - Production
    9.0.1.2 ML C# - Development

ssgumby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfire86 View Post
    To be honest, we thought all the Shipping Estimator code was SO immensely convoluted just to end up being crap anyways.

So I opted to just remove it and make our own from scratch....and it's so much more awesome. I mean pretty much the way the built in one works is creating a fake way of doing it with a real address. Our way instead just creates a temporary address...the only thing the customer has to enter is their Zip Code, the state and city are found via a ZipCodeDatabase we have. We then inject our temporary address instance down through the functions via overloads and it returns a dropdown of ALL available options.

We call it the Shipping Exactimator, since it is the actual cost, not an estimator at all.

You can check it out at FreshWaterSystems.com
    Very nice, I love how that works!