Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Getting started in a Dev Environment.

GoodFella is offline Member

Default Getting started in a Dev Environment.

Hi,

I am trying to get started with making some major modifications to my site. I am a Data Warehouse Developer with strong knowledge in SQL Server. I have little experience in C# or VB or ASP.NET.

How would you suggest I get started in this endeavor? Right now, I have a dev website but it still points to the Production SQL DB.

Am I able to us MS Web Developer Express?

What are some basic steps to getting started in this?

Rob is offline Senior Member

Step 1 is to setup the site, and full .sln (solution) on your dev box, with local db, and get the .sln to fully load in VS.NET and make sure the site loads properly (out of the box) on localhost (or your dev box IP, whatever you are using)

Then you can think of doing coding
    AspDotNetStorefront
    Shopping Cart

weblingo is offline Member

You'll need to change the DBConn connection string in the dev website web.config file to point to your development db

VWD will work, but I believe you'll need Visual C# Express to recompile the code (how I started before going for VS2008 full version)

Good luck