Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Image name

newtothis is offline Senior Member

Default Image name

Hello,

Does anyone know how make the image names something more meaningful? Currently, all of our images (if you right click and try to save it) are labelled by the product ID. I guess this doesnt help for SEO, but I dont know how to change it. Is there a way you can name the image the same as what you have for the Alt tags? Our goal is so that search engines may pick up on the key words and show the image if people are searching for images.

I am using Version 8.

Many thanks!

ASPAlfred is offline Senior Member

You can use either product SKU as the images name by setting appconfig: UseSKUForProductImageName to true or assigning an arbitrary names (Image Filename Override) to images via product manager page in the admin under the Images tab. You just have to make sure that the appconfig: ImageFilenameOverrideEnabled set to true and they are in the proper format, and that the small/medium/large images are named the same.

Thank you for your response.

Well I checked the ImageFilenameOverrideEnabled and its set to TRUE, however when I change UseSKUForProductImageName to TRUE all of the images on the entire site disapear!

Am I missing something here?

ASPAlfred is offline Senior Member

You will only set ImageFilenameOverrideEnabled to true if you're using arbitrary names to your images, otherwise, no need.

If you preferred to use the UseSKUForProductImageName it will not automatically update the images filename until you will re-save/re-upload them in the admin. Actually, you just have to click the Update button in the images tab so the software will update the filename.

So does this mean I have to click the update button for ALL products? I have thousands of them on file. Is there no way I can do it globally for the whole site?

MelanieA is offline Junior Member

If you wish to use the UseSKUForProductImageName yes you have to upload your images again in able to update your product image.

It is more advisable to just use the ImageFilenameOverride to your product images now that you have thousands of products. It is much easier to manage just in case you wish to change your product images using Excel Import. Just name your product image the way you want for SEO purposes at least you will not use the ProductID name. You will just indicate the name of your image in the ImageFilenameOverride on your product configuration.

Hope this helps

Thank you so much, this is very helpful indeed. I have just tried it and it works like a gem

I think its going to be a bit of work initially to rename all of our products (and its quite cumbersome that it needs to be done 3 times, for icon medium and large) but I think moving forward it should be much better!

Thanks again for your help!

Oh I am having a small problem with this.

I have saved the image in the icon, medium and large image folders and named the image to what I want. Then I enter the image name into the Image Filename Override option, and it does load up the correct image - howver it doesnt resize it to small medium and large images. The all appear large. Am I missing a step somewhere?

MelanieA is offline Junior Member

It seems you are missing something with the configurations, Please submit a support ticket to support regarding this issue and one of our Support Engineers may help you with this.

Ok thank you. I have emailed them hopefully they will have the solution

Thanks for your help!

Hello Melanie,

I have heard back from ASPDNSF support and this is what they have advised me:

If you use image resize, you must size the images yourself before you FTP them to the site, the software can't dynamically resize images at page load time. Only images that are uploaded through the admin site are resized.

So I was wondering if you had any advice on the best way to move forward. I have thousands of products, and if I need to resize all of them 3 times and then upload all of them back into the image folders I will be sitting here all year resizing and uploading.

Any suggestions?

DanV is offline Ursus arctos horribilis

Just get something like IrfanView (freeware) and bulk resize + upload. If we tried to go back and resize dynamically, I would predict it would be maybe an hour before the host pulled the plug on your account because the website resized 10,000 images at AppStart and pegged their CPU for 30 minutes.

logoscorp is offline Member

Angry hi please i have a same problem...

hello everyone ... I have a big big problem with the images of products ... I have a product with an associated image and I want to change ... when I press delete the image, the system loads the image of another product ... when I load the new image that I'm assigned to the product and product change over the previous image