Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Custom development - Price per character product engraving

dbsHarry is offline Junior Member

Default Custom development - Price per character product engraving

My client has a requirement that we charge per character for engraving.

I know that engraving is a feature of the shopping cart but it doesnt support pricing implications.

Does anyone have any pointers as to where I would start in developing this. Ie a filename or a class name that is key to extending the products.

Would I be better off trying to create a new product type or trying to extend the engraving feature to add a cost per character into the cart at the end?

MarcJ is offline Senior Member

I wonder if there is a way you can use a kit with each letter being part of the kit to get the total price?

dbsHarry is offline Junior Member

We did toy with that idea but it was decided it was no good to make the user have to use a drop down list per letter to spell out words.

Unless I am misunderstanding you?

If anyone can give me a hint as to where I would look in the source code for this then I would be grateful. I have the full c# source edition (v8.0.0.0)

MarcJ is offline Senior Member

It wouldn't take too much to do I wouldn't think, but if you have a set number of characters, you could put in that many 1 character textboxes and add them to the kit behind the scenes.

DanV is offline Ursus arctos horribilis

Correct. They don't have to be a dropdown box. If you allowed a max of 10 characters, you could put in 10 item options that consisted of a one character text box, mark them optional, and assign a price delta to each textbox.

andy is offline Junior Member

Default did u find a solution to this problem?

We are trying to do the same thing as you, allow customer to enter the engraving text and then count the cost per character. What approach did you finally take. Many thanks in advance.