Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Mobile Browsers

Rob is offline Senior Member

Default Mobile Browsers

Scott has a few simple custom mods to auto-detect, and switch skin on the fly for mobile users (e.g. iphones, etc)...cool. Ask Scott for the info =)
    AspDotNetStorefront
    Shopping Cart

ohmydude_ML is offline Member

Default contact

contact info for "scott" ?
    thanks!

AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott's Avatar
    AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott is offline Administrator

Check it out.

I found out after the fact that there's a built-in IsMobileDevice function in asp.net that could slim this down a bit, but this way gives you control over which browsers/devices to redirect if you want.

If that doesn't matter to you, skip step 2 and modify 1 a bit:

Code:
    if (Request.Browser.IsMobileDevice)

{
    templateName = "mtemplate.ascx";
    }
    return templateName;
    Last edited by Rob; 05-14-2009 at 05:47 PM.

mgibbs is offline Senior Member

Nicely done Scott. Now if anyone has a mobile template they'd like to share as a starting point, we'd be golden!
    EMM for AspDotNetStorefront - Communicate effectively with your customers

We are creating a mobile skin for our own site. should be done in a bit, and could serve as an example of how to do it
    AspDotNetStorefront
    Shopping Cart

jnburchett is offline Junior Member

I too am looking into the prospect of developing a mobile-enabled version of our ASPDNSF site. I see how changing the skin and/or redirecting to a different template file could change the "master" page of the site but my question lies in the hurdle of actual display of the product pages and category views. Any strategies on tackling that?

I'm glad the community sees the opportunity here and is mobilizing (no pun intended) to address it. Let's keep the discussion going...

Joe

we'll pick this up right after we get through the conference...
    AspDotNetStorefront
    Shopping Cart

ideal_airsoft is offline Member

Any more word on this? It seems like it may be the case that it needs a whole other 'site' that can have different xmlPackages

doctorweb is offline Junior Member

I see how changing the skin and/or redirecting to a different template file could change the "master" page of the site but my question lies in the hurdle of actual display of the product pages and category views. Any strategies on tackling that?

LisaVK is offline Junior Member

Make sure you check out our new post regarding the new Mobile Phone Client Browser Support which will be included in our v 9.0 release! Exciting stuff!!

http://forums.aspdotnetstorefront.co...ad.php?t=21175

Upscale_Automotive is offline Senior Member

Did anyone get Scott's solution working on v8? I can't get this working.

AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott's Avatar
    AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott is offline Administrator

We've had quite a few customers implement this successfully, yes. In fact that's very similar to how v9 does it 'out of the box'. What kind of issue are you having?

Actually, I think my problem is with my mobile template/skin lol. Until I put together a template that works and is effective, there is not much point to me continuing to try and implement this anyway. Any chance there is a mobile template available for download for us version 8 users?

Just checking up again. Anyone have a mobile template/XMLpackage for v8?

christianyoung is offline User

Default Mobile for v8

You can find a fully functional mobile shopping cart add on for v8 here:http://www.vortx.com/p-90-mobile-com...torefront.aspx. This allows online store owners to provide a full-featured mobile version of their site without having to create a new, separate site. Our integrated platform automatically detects when a mobile device is being used and renders the requested page formatted specifically for that device.
    I am happy to answer any questions you have.