Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Debugging in Vista

Rita is offline Senior Member

Default Debugging in Vista

I am using ML 8.0.1.2, and my dev machine installed with VS 2008 and its running on Vista Home Premium OS. when i tired to debug the AspDotNetStorefront - 80, I am getting following error. "unable to start debugging on the web server. the iis worker process for the launched url is not currently running."

But when i do "Start without debugging" in VS 2008, the application runs fine.
    Please suggest some workaround for this issue.

ASPDNSF Staff - Jon is offline Senior Member

This appears to be a bug in SP1 of the .NET Framework 3.5. According to others, if you set the website IP bindings in IIS Manager to "All Unassigned" instead of a specific address, the problem will not appear.
    Jon Wolthuis

AspDotNetStorefrontML8012 created as a application under Default website in IIS 7.0. And Default website "edit bindings" already has *(All Unassigned) as IPAddress and 80 as Port number. But still I couldn't debug the application.

So is there any other things would cause this issue?

ASPDNSF Staff - Jon is offline Senior Member

Do you have "Windows Authentication" enabled on that website? (Ignore any alert that says THIS and THAT cannot be used simultaneously). VS2008 uses Windows Authentication to attach to the w3wp process.

Alternatively, can you use the Debug > Attach to process... menu to attach to the w3wp.exe process?
    Jon Wolthuis

Thank you very much for working this issue with me.

As per my understanding Vista Home Premium doesn't have Windows Authentication.
    when i click on "Attach to process" by default it chose "Automatic: Native code" option. I changed that option to w3wp.exe process, and click attach, then IDE says application is running, but no browser window has opened.

Arrow

I just found out one way of doing it. I am posting here so that it may help somebody.

1) Just run your application "Start without debugging".
    2) Debug -> Attach to process. Attach with w3wp.exe process. then if you refresh the browser, it will hit the breakpoint if you have any in your application.
    3) IIS may terminate the worker process within 90 seconds. So you have to do some set up in IIS. for this you can refer this page, http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb763108.aspx

If you find any other way of doing it without manually add "attach to process" in Vista Home Premium, It would be helpful for people like me.

DanV is offline Ursus arctos horribilis

Another way to do it is just open your site in a browser manually, and then Debug --> Attach to process --> w3wp.exe in Visual studio. Since you already opened the site in a browser, the worker process will already be running. I have had no issues doing it that way on either Vista Ultimate (work machine) or Vista Home Premium (Home computer).