Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Customize the 'Cart Summary' in Checkout Process

tsuvo is offline Junior Member

Default Customize the 'Cart Summary' in Checkout Process

Hi All - I'm looking to customize the aesthetics of the 'Cart Summary' that exists on nearly every page of the checkout process. I'm using ML/DNN. I've already spent several days customizing the many .aspx checkout pages. This seems to be one of the few major elements that's applied to the page with a control.

In the checkoutshipping.aspx (and several others) you will see the following:

<asp:Literal ID="CartSummary" runat="server"></asp:Literal>

At runtime, this displays a table very similar to the 'Order Summary' table in the shoppingcart.aspx page.

I've been spinning for about six hours now trying to find where this table is being pulled from. Where is html that is formatting this table? Is this by chance some XML Package that I didn't know about?

I inlcuded a screenshot, but if anyone feels like logging in and taking a look, here is the url: ityse.tsuvo.com.

I only have a few products in place but you can find them by clicking one of the categories on the header.

Thank You!!!!!!!

Dave Romero
    Attached Images Attached Images  

DanV is offline Ursus arctos horribilis

Most server side controls have logic that gets executed in the CodeBehind page for that particular webform. If you take the ID (that is how the CodeBehind knows which item to set properties for) and search in CheckoutShipping.aspx.cs, you should find all of the underlying logic for that particular control. Eg:

Code:
    CartSummary.Text = cart.DisplaySummary(true, false, false, false, false);
    So as you can see, the text output for the CartSummary literal control is generated by the DisplaySummary method of the ShoppingCart object. If you open the solution in visual studio, you can right click DisplaySummary and "Go To Definition" to go right to the method in the ShoppingCart class. You'll need full source and "real" visual studio though... Express versions do not tend to do the trick. Just basic object-oriented programming

knuttall is offline Junior Member

What if you don't have visual studio? Where do you go to change this? It's amazing how something that should be so simple to change is so difficult.

Drew is offline Junior Member

Agreed. This is simple styling yet end users can not customize this?

webopius is offline Senior Member

I agree, it's not very clever to embed the HTML deep within the source code (in this case ShoppingCart.cs which is part of the ASPDNSFCore dll). I hope Vortx are working on issues like this.

What Webopius does in cases like this (when we don't want to change the core source code) is combine JQuery with CSS to style these elements. Once the page is loaded, using JQuery, you can add/remove/edit html elements within the page and then CSS is used to style them.