Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Setting Up DEV Environment

ssgumby is offline Senior Member

Default Setting Up DEV Environment

Please forgive me for some basic questions. I am a J2EE developer by trade and am moving from a PHP cart to ASPDNSF.

First, is there any reason to get VS2008 PRO rather than STANDARD?

Second, should I go thru the cart setup installing it all under default intetpub/wwwroot or should I skip that and set it all up and configured in VS2008?

Lastly, is there any documentation on how I would get the code installed and setup in VS2008?

I did use VS2005 (I think) a long time ago and set the ibuyspy portal project and was able to devlop in that but don't remember much about what I did.

Any tips, suggestions, documents or insight would be greatly appreciated.

ASPDNSF Staff - Jon is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ssgumby View Post
    Please forgive me for some basic questions. I am a J2EE developer by trade and am moving from a PHP cart to ASPDNSF.
    Congrats on taking the plunge PHP is a lot like C#, so hopefully your transition is easy.

First, is there any reason to get VS2008 PRO rather than STANDARD?
    Pro lets you write/troubleshoot XML schemas and transforms. I use that feature everyday, but that's just me. You'll probably be fine with Std.

Second, should I go thru the cart setup installing it all under default intetpub/wwwroot or should I skip that and set it all up and configured in VS2008?
    The default sln file will create the web under IIS's default website. The physical location of the \web folder does not matter, as long as you give the Network Service and IUSR users access to the folder. If you place it under \inetpub, the correct permissions will be inherited.

Lastly, is there any documentation on how I would get the code installed and setup in VS2008?
    It should be as simple as unzipping it. We provide a ready-to-use sln file. The only manual steps are creating your SQL Server database, and editing web.config to point to it. After that, open the solution, and hit F5.
    Jon Wolthuis

ssgumby is offline Senior Member

Wow, thanks Jon. That was informative and helpful.

Sounds like you all have made it as simple as can be.

So just to make sure I understood.

I can run the install as per the documentation which will install under inetpub\... and then I can simply open .sln and be good to go.

Excellent ... im very anxious to get this going. My current PHP cart has outlived its life long ago and everything ive seen with ASPDNSF simply blows it away.