Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: How to show categories in Menu

sugith_k is offline Member

Default How to show categories in Menu

Can someone help me to show only the categories in the main menu (Horizontal navigation bar)? At the moment it shows the Categories, Departments, etc. But I want to show the category items in the menu.

If someone can help me with this matter I would be rather grateful.

Thank you!

Sugith_k

ASPAlfred is offline Senior Member

The horizontal menu is handled by menuData.xml file under your skins\skin_# folder in the site's root directory. If you don't want to show a certain menu, just open up the file and comment out the line to omit.

Kristi is offline Junior Member

Adding on to this, as it's related:

I was able to show just the categories in a horizontal menu by calling the following:

HTML Code:
            <div id="uppermiddlenav">
    	    (!XmlPackage Name="rev.categories"!)
            </div>
    This is okay, but I'd actually like to only show certain categories in this menu, as it may get pretty long, and I want only certain features categories here.

For example, while I may have 20 categories, I want to hand pick which ones I want to show in this certain navigation. (Say, 5) I'm okay hard-coding these in if I have to, as they will not change a whole lot.

I want these 5 specific categories to display by default their SUB categories. (which will be a hover list), not just when you're on that particular category page.

However, the way that the rev.categories.xml is set is okay for the interior pages, where I have a place allocated on a left vertical nav for it to behave how it is currently, and I'd like to keep it that way.

Summary:

- I want a new function of the categories to allow showing subcategories when in top level, but also still have the default setting for my interior pages - where do I start inside the rev.categories.xsl.config to create this function?

Still learning how to mess around in the xsl files, though I have a solid knowledge of html & css manipulation.

Thanks!

Dusty is offline Member

If I'm understanding what you're going for it's a little bit tricky but completely doable. While it's possible to determine from within an XML Package the navigational context, it is relatively difficult to do. Your optimal approach would be to create a separate XML Package based on the rev.categories with the behavior for which your looking, determine the navigational context from within the skin, and determine which menu XML Package to use based on the navigation context.

Dusty
    ASPDotNetStorefront Staff

Kristi is offline Junior Member

Okay - I believe I understand what you mean, based on what I've experimented with so far.

Thanks!