Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: How to show multiple variants in a grid/table without sku pattern

dhs is offline Member

Default How to show multiple variants in a grid/table without sku pattern

Hello,

I am still very new to aspdnsf and trying to figure out if this will require customization or can be worked out with existing features.

I have 4 skus that are what we call 'grouped' products. They share the same description but do not share a pattern in the sku. 50M, 50C, 25M, 25C. Logically for the customer, they should be shown on the same page.

Is there a way to show these products together in a table (with add to cart buttons) on a single product page?

Any hint of where to look or if it requires customization would be appreciated. I have looked around and the product.variantsingrid.xml sounds like it may be a key to doing this but when looking at the data there is no 'sku' at the variant level, only sku modifiers which I don't believe will work with our existing sku numbers.

thank you

DanV is offline Ursus arctos horribilis

That can be done, sure. You could use the product.variantsintable*.xml.config xml page for displaying the product page. For handling the sku, just leave the product SKU field blank, and put the full variant sku in the SKU Suffix field on the variant page. If you actually wanted to display all four variants as seperate products on the category page, then each variant would have to be created as a seperate product, or you would need to do some modification to the entity xml package to take variants into account. This is not usually recommended as you end up with a lot of duplicate content links.

dhs is offline Member

thank you fore the info. I am now trying to work on this modifying the data by hand to see how it works. One place that I am running into trouble is the additive way the p.name and pv.name are put together. Our information is not built in this additive way. There is a 'product name and description' and a product name heading and description, each is unique of the other. So when you put them together they become duplicative.

On the product page it is easy to deal with, in fact the as built product.variantintable*.xml.config displays correctly for us. What I am worried about is everywhere else the pv is shown, the name being shown will have both the p and pv name together. Such as in the cart, wishlist, checkout, receipts.

Am I able to modify these pages like I do for the product pages to take build in logic and avoid adding p.name to pv.name?

thanks

DanV is offline Ursus arctos horribilis

Sorry for the late response. You can modify anything you want, but some areas you are looking to modify (eg. the shoppingcart item display) are going to require source code.

avsune is offline Member

Default variants have full sku

if I leave the sku blank in the item and put in the full sku # in the variants would there be any issue importing the items from an xls or xml if the sku is blank?

MelanieA is offline Junior Member

No, this will not be an issue since Product SKU is not included in the required fields for Product import via excel.