Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Changing Links in Horizontal Nav

knowledge_quest is offline Junior Member

Question Changing Links in Horizontal Nav

Could someone please advise on the editable file for changing text links in the horizontal nav bar? I would like to change the home, categories, departments and manufacturers text to something different. This would need to be consistent throughout the site and admin (i.e. Genre rather than category, band instead of department, etc).

Thanks for any input-

DanV is offline Ursus arctos horribilis

If you just wanted to change the name of these items, those are editable via admin --> content --> String Resource Manager via the admin site. (eg. search for "menu.").

If you wanted to add or change the content of the menu itself, you would modify the menudata.xml file in the skins directory. The content for categories, manufacturers, etc. is generated dynamically, however you can insert your own items into the menu as well... Eg. if I add

Code:
    <item Text="My New Item" NavigateUrl="somepage.aspx" LookId="DefaultItemLook"/>
    Inside the customer service node, the customer service dropdown will contain a new item called My New Item, that links to somepage.aspx.

Thank You Thank You Thank You Dan for this info. This is what I have done to edit the text in the menu.

I changed this line in menudata.xml:
    <item Text="(!menu.Categories!)" LookId="TopItemLook" />

To:
    <item Text="Shop By League" NavigateUrl="categories.aspx" LookId="TopItemLook" />

Now visitors actually see Shop By League in the menu bar rather than categories, however after removing (!menu.Categories!), this of coarse removes the drop down feature showing the actual categories.

It is not totally necessary for me to change the name "categories" in admin, but it definitely needs to be changed on the front end. I hate to follow up with yet another question but here goes....

Is there a piece I am missing in the string above that will allow me to regain the "drop down" or a way to add the drop down info back in while still displaying "Shop By League" as the text? Or is this even possible?

Thanks again Dan!
    Lisa Acuff,
    www.Zen-Webs.com
    ----Learning Something New Every Day----

Okay I got it. Dan was right. I mistakenly edited amin.menu.categories. Be sure to edit menu.categories for changing only the text. You can edit admin.menu.categories to change the name in admin.
    Lisa Acuff,
    www.Zen-Webs.com
    ----Learning Something New Every Day----