Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Entities

MarcJ is offline Senior Member

Default Entities

Has there been any discussion of making the entities dynamic? I'm building my first site using AspDotNetStorefront so I have a newbie view on the world. It appears to me that for the most part, all entities are identical in functionality and only differ by name. I understand there might be some slight differences but that could be handled by settings at the entity level. I realize it would be nearly a total re-write of much of the application, however, I would think it would remove tons of redundant code and allow for merging of some database tables. Maybe have your standard entities pre-created and locked from deletion (Mfgs, Sections, Categories). It would cut down on the requests of how to enable Genres and Vectors, plus allow admins to add any number of entities they desire. All entity specific AppConfig settings could be moved to the entity level such as the "ShowInSiteMap" settings, etc.

All of this thinking came about from me needing one more entity than the site supports. I've already used up Sections, Distributors, Categories, Genres, and Vectors. It would be nice to have just one more.

Anyway, I know if may sound crazy, but I was just thinking outloud.

ASPDNSF Staff - Jon is offline Senior Member

Yes, this is a good idea, and something that we have on the drawing board. Can't promise if/when it would appear, but it's being looked at.
    Jon Wolthuis

Rob is offline Senior Member

Yes, we could generalize entities, so you could have 100 if you wanted. Very powerful stuff, but as Jon says, it's on our to-do list, but not with an ETA yet. The 5 entities we have now are sufficient for 99% of sites.
    AspDotNetStorefront
    Shopping Cart

MarcJ is offline Senior Member

I agree that the 5 provided out of the box are great for 99% of sites. I was just thinking it could be easier on the admin end of things if the only steps needed to make a new entity was to just click "create new" and fill in the configs. Right now, it's a pain, granted a small one, to enable genres and vectors. Also, since they aren't added as standard, there are some issues with them that has to be worked out by the admin.

Either way, it's a great product and I enjoy working with it.