Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: creating NAV bar menus

jesse1 is offline Junior Member

Question creating NAV bar menus

I am in the process of setting a store with ML8. If I want to set up an electronics store that has hundreds of products which need a good filtering capacity, what would be the best approach? I would need a main navigation bar and subsequent sub categories Nav bars. For example, a main category for “LCD” that when checked takes you to that page where you can filer the results by screen size, price, or any other way (through a left side NAV bar). I would need a new sub menu on the left of that page. I would like to know how to create a main NAV bar and than a different NAV bar on a subsequent page.

Help is appreciated.

Also, in the past I have posted questions to which I got very short and non descriptive answers. I would REALY, REALY appreciate a detailed explanation.

Megan is offline Junior Member

Default Reductive Navigation

At Vortx we frequently work with "Reductive Navigation" which sounds like the navigation structure that you have described - a way to narrow the results based upon chosen categories and/or characteristics. Reductive Navigation works like this:

As someone moves through your site, they can choose to narrow their visible results by certain characteristics. For an example of this, visit one of the sites that we did with reductive navigation (and accordion movement characteristics): Today's Gentleman. As you make a choice from the left navigation menu, it narrows the selection of what you can see and 'hides' the other products.

As you see in that example, you can choose to view designer, orange, striped ties by clicking those three categories. All of the ties that do not match those chosen categories are filtered and are not visible or hidden.

Is this what you are looking for?

Reductive Navigation works very well in circumstances where there are a large quantity of products that are similar with a few defining characteristics (as with the colors and patterns of the ties). In these situations, Reductive Navigation effectively narrows the possibilities for a customer to quickly find what they are looking for - amongst many options.

If you would like more information about navigation structures, please visit our navigation page or contact us. For another reference, we also did the reductive navigation on the Costume Kingdom site.

Thanks,

Megan
    Vortx.com
    LiveWire Ecommerce Blog