Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Excel Import Broken Categories

medsupply is offline Senior Member

Default Excel Import Broken Categories

When I do an excel product import all category pages throw an error in the front end. It fixes when I update the xmlpackage for the particular category in the admin. Why does this happen and how can I bulk fix the dozens of categories I have already imported that are broken?

donttryathome is offline Senior Member

Are you creating the categories in the admin site before you do the product import via excel? If not, you should be. This is why that error is being thrown, when you create the category via excel import you aren't specifying an xml package to use, that's why you're having to go in and assign the xml package before the category works properly.

Create all your categories in the admin site first, then import your products via excel specifying categories that already exist. Don't rely on excel import to create the categories for you.

Edit: As for how to fix the broken categories, if all of your categories use the same XML package, you could use a SQL query to update them all at once. If you've got the budget for it, Aspdnsf Commander is an awesome program that we use daily to import and update products and entities. This program would allow you to do a mass update of all the entities and you can specify a new xml package for each entity. If you have a large number of products or entities that require regular updates, it's a serious time saver.

http://www.simrun.com/AspDotNetStore...Commander.aspx (Disclaimer: I am in no way associated with the creators of this program, I am just an extremely happy customer.)
    Last edited by donttryathome; 06-12-2013 at 11:40 AM.
    Running: AspDotNetStorefront ML 8.0.1.2/8.0.1.2

medsupply is offline Senior Member

No, I am not creating the categories beforehand because they were so many. I am a long time ASPDNSF user and have done many new imports before and the categories were created without issues. I am not sure why the new version has this issue. I am also a happy Commander user so I will follow your suggestions and create them before.

Thanks!

donttryathome is offline Senior Member

If you've got Commander I would suggest doing all imports and updates via that. It's far superior to the excel import tool, in many ways!
    Running: AspDotNetStorefront ML 8.0.1.2/8.0.1.2

Ellerbesmith is offline Junior Member

I have not done the imports as well anyone could suggest me how to do it ?