Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Duplicate meta descriptions

partyd is offline Junior Member

Default Duplicate meta descriptions

I was checking our site why some pages are doing very good on google, first page 1 to 5.
    but other products are listed on the 6th or 7th page on google. finally I found this on google's Webmaster tools

HTML Improvements
    Duplicate meta descriptions

looks like this pages share the same descriptions

PRECISION INTERFACE
    /m-9-precision-interface.aspx
    /m-9-precision-interface.aspx?pagenum=2
    /m-9-precision-interface.aspx?pagenum=3
    /m-9-precision-interface.aspx?pagenum=4
    /m-9-precision-interface.aspx?pagenum=5
    /m-9-precision-interface.aspx?pagenum=6

here it's 1 more example I have 38 in total

volvo ipod interface iPhone for all models listen charge and control your iPod with the volvo ster
    /pc-253-177-volvo-ipod-adapter-usa-spec-pa11-hon-94-00.aspx
    /pc-253-177-volvo-tto-ipod-interface-pa11-hon.aspx
    /pc-253-197-volvo-ipod-adapter-usa-spec-pa11-hon-94-00.aspx
    /pc-253-226-volvo-to-ipod-interface-pa11-hon.aspx

I assign this same product to 2 departments but it's only one, google shows 4 times

Can anyone point in the right direction on how to fix this and how to preven this in the future, thank you

Tom Cox is offline Senior Member

In the first case, you should investigate rel=canonical. You can put the code into your template for category pages and manufacturer pages to tell Google to just index the main page. We did this and eliminated hundreds of warnings in GWT.

I think this same technique will work for your second example. You just point the additional products to one main product.

Search the forum. I think I found the necessary code somewhere in here. Try "canonical.xml.config."