Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Email Notice for Backorders Needed

Thomas is offline Junior Member

Default Email Notice for Backorders Needed

Hi. I want to add products to my website that I will not have in stock until February I am importing them from China. Is there a way to have customers sign up on the product page (preferably by just entering their email address) and when I show the products are in stock they are automatically populated and emailed to them telling them they can buy the items because they are now in stock.

Does anyone have any idea on how to do this? I think it would be a real valuable selling tool for almost any website.

Tom Carlson, VP
    AssistedLiving-Store.com
    ElectricBlanket.NET

dragon is offline Member

Default Any Ideas On this?

Hi...I would like to have exactly what they are talking about. I would like if a product is out of stock for the customer to be able to get an automatic email when the product is available. Does anyone know how to do this?

ASPDNSF Staff - Jon is offline Senior Member

Trying to understand the question... backorder management is a very complicated process to do correctly.

If I understand the question; you want to turn-off the default capability to accept an order for an O/S product, and replace it with a textbox to record their email address or SMS phone number? Then run a script once a day to look for items with Qty > 0 and fire off some notifications?

Questions:
    • How would distinguish "regular stock" from items that someone else already has dibs on (pre-allocated stock from an existing backorder)?
    • How would you display how long the item is going to be O/S? Days, weeks, or a specific calendar day?
    • How would a customer opt-out of future notifications? Or would you do only a single notification?

In the most basic form, it sounds like a scheduled task is needed, along with a "Backorder Notification" table in the database. But depending on the answers to these questions, it can easily get complicated.
    Jon Wolthuis