Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Product Unit of Measure

Greg Wilkerson is offline Junior Member

Question Product Unit of Measure

After reading a few posts about incorporating Unit of Measure in this forum, I believe I'm going to implement this using an extended data column in the product table. However, if someone has a better way, feel free to suggest it. My hope was this was somehow built into the tool. I can't find it, if it is.

TIA,

Greg Wilkerson

Jesse is offline Banned

Requests to support alternate units of measurement end up coming in using a thousand different demands: everything from support of granular sizes all the way to board feet. There is simply no feasible way for the software to accomidate everyone out of box, and therefore it is best left to customization. Extension data was implemented specifically for use like this.

miguelcrush is offline Senior Member

Adding a unit of measure column at the product (or product variant) would probably be the best way to go. I did mine in one of the extension data fields in product and call it using xml packages on our site.
    Mike Steyer
    Information Systems Admin

cjbarth is offline Senior Member

Default Unit of Measure Concept

How did you incorporate UoM in your XMLPackage?

On a side note: I'm very surprise that ASPDNSF doesn't include this functionality. I understand there are many different types of UoM but the calculation is always the same.

In any UoM pricing scenario there is a label specifying the UoM and then a 'size' field is multiplied by the price value, the size value, and the weight value for calculation of checkout price and shipping size and weight. I understand the mathematical problems with multiplying size, but it could simply be a rule that only the first (or last) dimension is multiplied by the 'size' field so that shipping volume calculations are accurate.

If you wanted to get really advanced you could add another field for 'max shipping size' that would cause internal logic to multiply the second number by every factor of the fist number. For example: I order 35' of board with dimensions of 1x.5x.5 (that would be a 6"x6" board measured by the foot with the first number being the multiplier). If I specified a 'max shipping size' of 6 that would mean that instead of my shipping size being 35x.5.x5 it would be 6x3x.5. That is calculated because once the first dimension reaches 6, the 'max shipping size' it can't go any bigger, so we start 'folding' it. The first dimension could never shrink below 'max shipping size' but the next dimension can grow. Since 35 / 'max shipping size' is 5.xx I would round up to the next 'max shipping size' and that would be multiplied by the second shipping dimension.

I see no reason that such generic functionality can't be included in ASPDNSF with minimal effort.

Chris