Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Product Photography Set Up Help

addi is offline Junior Member

Question Product Photography Set Up Help

Hello - this question is not directly an ASPDNSF product question, however, since almost everyone is using ASPDNSF to sell something, it is somewhat relevant.

I am in the process of setting up a gift shop selling small gift items (jewelry, gift items, etc.) using ASPDNSF ML 9.3. I am wondering if anyone can guide me on how they arranged their product pictures environment, i.e. in-house photo department or outsourced to a professional shop. Since we will have hundreds of items, I would like to do it in-house due to cost limitations.

Can anyone guide me on what in-house set up is required (camera, lighting equipment, etc.). I am willing to take some product photography lessons if that would help.

Many thanks,

Addi

donttryathome is offline Senior Member

You may find this site quite useful: http://www.gemphotography.com/

As for equipment, I would recommend searching the web for guides on how to build your own lightbox. You can build one way cheaper than the cost of buying one and you'll get nearly the same results. It's tough to say "this is the camera you should buy" because there are so many different things to consider when buying, but if you'll be shooting jewelry (or other small items) you'll want to invest in a macro lens. Buy a good sturdy tripod and do not go cheap on it!

If you don't already have a background in photography a lesson or three would be invaluable. You'll likely find that product photography is a different monster with issues you'll have to deal with that you don't normally see in other areas of photography.

Good luck!
    Running: AspDotNetStorefront ML 8.0.1.2/8.0.1.2