Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Display Root Categories On Homepage with Images and Category Names?

SEOrockstar is offline Junior Member

Default Display Root Categories On Homepage with Images and Category Names?

I am trying to figure out how to display a grid layout for all root level categories on the home page of my site. Layout: Grid Layout with the category image, category name.

The layout I am trying to achieve would look like "entity.rootlevel.xml" when applying that to a category. I have been able the bring in the browse categories XML by adding (!XmlPackage Name="rev.categories"!) to the hometopintro in the editor. I would like to do the same but with all of the categories and images.

I guess a custom XML Package is what I need to make. Has anyone been able to achieve this look I know this is a very popular layout for eCommerce websites.

Obviously I'm not wanting to hard code this and have this manageable by the client so when they add a new root category it will automatically display on the home page.

I also, will be getting rid of the out of the box left hand dynamic layout for "Browse Categories" only on the home page.

Any thoughts will help.

Thanks,
    John Parker

SEOrockstar is offline Junior Member

Default I Got It!

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes" ?>
    <!-- ##################################################################################	-->
    <!-- Copyright AspDotNetStorefront.com. All Rights Reserved.							-->
    <!-- http://www.aspdotnetstorefront.com													-->
    <!-- For details on this license please visit the product homepage at the URL above.	-->
    <!-- THE ABOVE NOTICE MUST REMAIN INTACT.												-->
    <!-- ##################################################################################	-->

<package version="2.1" displayname="Categories" debug="false" includeentityhelper="true">
        <PackageTransform>
            <xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" xmlns:aspdnsf="urn:aspdnsf" exclude-result-prefixes="aspdnsf">
                <xsl:output method="html" omit-xml-declaration="yes"/>

<xsl:param name="CategoryID">
                    <xsl:choose>
                        <xsl:when test="/root/System/PageName = 'showmanufacturer.aspx' or /root/System/PageName = 'showsection.aspx' or /root/System/PageName = 'showdistributor.aspx' or /root/System/PageName = 'showvector.aspx' or /root/System/PageName = 'showgenre.aspx'">0</xsl:when>
                        <xsl:when test="/root/System/PageName = 'showcategory.aspx' and boolean(/root/QueryString/categoryid)">
                            <xsl:value-of select="/root/QueryString/categoryid"/>
                        </xsl:when>
                        <xsl:when test="(/root/System/PageName = 'showcategory.aspx' or /root/System/PageName = 'showproduct.aspx') and boolean(/root/Cookies/LastViewedEntityInstanceID) and /root/Cookies/LastViewedEntityName = 'Category'">
                            <xsl:value-of select="/root/Cookies/LastViewedEntityInstanceID"/>
                        </xsl:when>
                        <xsl:otherwise>0</xsl:otherwise>
                    </xsl:choose>
                </xsl:param>

<xsl:param name="AncestorID">
    				<xsl:for-each select="/root/EntityHelpers/Category//Entity[EntityID = $CategoryID and Name = 'Consumer']">
    					<xsl:value-of select="ancestor::*/EntityID"/>
    				</xsl:for-each>

<xsl:param name="ParentID">
                    <xsl:for-each select="/root/EntityHelpers/Category//Entity[EntityID = $CategoryID]">
                        <xsl:value-of select="parent::*/EntityID"/>					
                    </xsl:for-each>

<xsl:template match="/">
                    <xsl:element name="ul">
                        <xsl:attribute name="class">
                            <![CDATA[tame2]]>
                        </xsl:attribute>

<xsl:apply-templates select="/root/EntityHelpers/Category/Entity">
    						<xsl:with-param name="prefix" select="''"/>
    						<xsl:with-param name="level" select="1"/>
    					</xsl:apply-templates>

</xsl:element>
                </xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="Entity">
    				<xsl:param name="prefix"></xsl:param>
    				<xsl:param name="eName" select="aspdnsf:GetMLValue(Name)" />
    				<xsl:param name="level"/>

<li class="tame">
                        <xsl:value-of select="$prefix" />
    	<xsl:value-of select="aspdnsf:LookupEntityImage(EntityID, 'Category', 'icon', 0, '')" disable-output-escaping="yes" />
                        <xsl:if test="number(ParentEntityID) != 0">
                            <span class="catMark">&gt;&gt;</span>&#160;
                        </xsl:if>
                        <a href="{aspdnsf:EntityLink(EntityID, SEName, 'Category', 0)}">
                            <xsl:if test="EntityID = $CategoryID or descendant::Entity/EntityID = $CategoryID">
                                <xsl:attribute name="style">font-weight:bold</xsl:attribute>
                            <xsl:value-of select="$eName"/>
                        </a>

<xsl:if test="count(child::Entity)&gt;0 and (EntityID = $CategoryID or descendant::Entity/EntityID = $CategoryID)">
                            <ul class="tame">
                                <xsl:apply-templates select="Entity">
                                    <xsl:with-param name="prefix" select="concat($prefix, '&#160;&#0160;')"/>
                                </xsl:apply-templates>
                            </ul>

<xsl:value-of select="aspdnsf:LookupEntityImage(EntityID, 'Category', 'icon', 0, '')" disable-output-escaping="yes" />
                    </li>

</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>
        </PackageTransform>
    </package>

cjbarth is offline Senior Member

You also could have modified the manufacturers.aspx page very slightly and it would have called the same XML package, but with different parameters and then would have shown categories instead. I saved the modified page as categories.aspx. I also took the code in categories.aspx and copied it to my default.aspx and I got categories on my home page. I'm sure you could have done something similar with copying the XML package call to hometopintro.
    ML9.3.1.1
    SQL 2012 Express
    VS 2010
    Azure VM