Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Dev Licence Question

cf46sr is offline Junior Member

Default Dev Licence Question

Hi
    Can I use the netbios name for the dev licence?

thx
    Tony

Jesse is offline Banned

The license key needs to be the domain name the site will be using. It can be an IP address, a DNS resolved name, or the "localhost" handler. I believe the query is to the HTTPContext object in the licensing DLLs, and therefore will not "search for possible resolutions" in the Netbios aliasing. It has to strictly correlate with what IIS says your domain is when it is asked.

thx.

ok. To keep things 'simple' I'll just make it a fixed internal ip address.

Also from a best practices perspective,

1)what is a suggested encryption key length

2) Dbconn string. Integrated security or username & password?

Jesse is offline Banned

In my opinion, you can never go wrong with a valid username and password. The encryption key question is a bit more of a personal preference, but our Security DLL encryption algorithms are very sound. I would simply make it a strong yet easily remembered phrase/password style. While a 24 character HEX key is going to be potent, if you end up overwriting your web.config without backing up, or something similar, you could really ruin your customer's next few purchases. Make sure it is a strong key, but I tend to lean more toward the side of making it memorable (IE, 5w@t7dw@Dc would be an encrypt key memorized by the phrase "snow white and the seven dwarves was a Disney classic").

Quote Originally Posted by ASPDNSF Staff - Jesse View Post
    Make sure it is a strong key, but I tend to lean more toward the side of making it memorable (IE, 5w@t7dw@Dc would be an encrypt key memorized by the phrase "snow white and the seven dwarves was a Disney classic").
    lol. thx.

BothWorldsJo is offline Member

> It has to strictly correlate with what IIS says your domain is when it is asked.

Sorry for a stupid question, but how can I check this? My localhost license is fine but my production one is still saying unregistered.

Thanks,
    Jo

Jesse is offline Banned

The best way to find out what's going wrong is to navigate to your version.aspx page with a querystring parameter of "debuglicense=true". It should give you a quick diagnostics of what's going wrong or right with your license. IE, "mydomain.com/version.aspx?debuglicense=true"

BothWorldsJo is offline Member

Thanks - that helped!
    Jo