Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: One Product, Multiple Descriptions?

SRT is offline Senior Member

Default One Product, Multiple Descriptions?

I currently have a "one-description-fits-all" product listing that appears in multiple categories.

However, I would like to be able to list my products in several categories, each with product descriptions modified so that they are more relevant to that category. Is there a way that I can do that in ASPDNS version 8.0.0? If yes, how?

Thank you.

BenJ is offline Junior Member

I am only proficient in v9 and am not sure of the differences between v8 and v9. However, have you thought about setting up multiple variants and using a variant based description? After assigning each variant to its applicable category, you could have different descriptions depending on which category it was assigned to, yet still from the same product.

webopius is offline Senior Member

Using the variants is a good idea. Another approach might be to store multiple descriptions against the product using XML in a similar way to how ASPDNSF handles multiple languages.

To do this, you would need:

- To modify the way product descriptions are shown within categories (probably by building a custom XSLT extension)
    - A new admin page to allow editing of the descriptions and flagging which to categories map to them

Product titles would probably need to be left alone given that they appear everywhere (checkout, cart, receipts, admin pages etc...) and the changes needed would be vast

What would you display if a Customer lands directly on a product page via, for example, a search engine? Is there going to be a default description.

So, a product description might be stored in the database like this:

<ml><category id="default">Default Description</category><category id="100">Description for Category id 100</category><category id="200">Description for Category id 200</category></ml>