Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: JIT Compilation

dalabera is offline Junior Member

Lightbulb JIT Compilation

My background is databases and windows applications using .net. Used to developed some web apps in 1.0/1.1 and that is it.
    It came to my attention the other day that with the distribution of ML(without the source code) it come some *.cs files that you could modify without using VS or any compiler and when the page loads this changes will get compile and loaded into memory.
    Was under the impresion that if you compile the entire project it creates a DLL under the bin containing all your behind the page code. Anyway I have the source and was thinking about compiling it and remove all the *.cs to avoid reading of this files. Don't know how much of a factor this could be, but considering that any second you improve on your web site the better for a customer experience.

Any thoughts please.....

asp.net 2.0's compilation approach does not compile the application in visual studio. An application can be "precompiled" in visual studio, but this will only convert source code into MSIL code. When the application is first run and not yet in memory, the application is "JIT compiled", which converts the MSIL code into native code and also checks code access security. Both the JIT compilation and the security check means there is a lot of processing that needs to be done everytime an application loads, and this translates into incredibly slow initial load times. Once an application is JIT compiled, a page loads within a second or less -- considerably faster than any other platform.
    Take a look at this: ASP.NET: Compilation ->
    http://aspalliance.com/16

Rex is offline Banned

Here is an article on how to precompile your website - code and pages both.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...76(VS.80).aspx

ASPDNSF Staff - Jon is offline Senior Member

The snippet you quoted refers to speeding up "first page load times" which has no impact on the customer experience. If your customers are starting your application for you, it's a sign of either some serious problem, or a misconfigured AppPool. They should *never* experience a first-page load; thats my opinion.

The distribution model that we use (a "Web Project") gives merchants great flexibility in tweaking aspx pages or code-behind, without having to use Visual Studio.
    Jon Wolthuis

dalabera is offline Junior Member

Very interesting.... Thanks. So hopefully this should speed up something.

Rob is offline Senior Member

I concur with Jon here. You can precompile to your hearts content if you choose..to get the first app start page load faster. On most proper production sites, that is 1 page load out of 1 million, so it really is a minor consideration...but have at it if you want to. It is possible to precompile AspDotNetStorefront very easily....but we don't ship it that way.
    AspDotNetStorefront
    Shopping Cart