Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Tax Rates by ZipCode Question - Ohio!!!

JBelthoff is offline Junior Member

Default Tax Rates by ZipCode Question - Ohio!!!

OK I have to do a ZipCode tax rate for the State of Ohio but here is the catch. Ohio has certain ZipCodes that are different rates depending on the county that they are in.

I have a CSV from the state which has the following fields:
    Zip -- Multiple Counties -- County -- Rate

I would like to import and use this infomration but the multiple county thing has me wondering how I can do this? For instance the zip code 43003 has three different tax rates depending on the county that it is in.

Any ideas on where to begin this modification?

One of the options from the OHIO website is a .net webservice. YEAH!!! I could use this but I would need someone to tell me where the tax gets calculated in the program in order to implement it.

Thanks,

JB

OMS is offline Junior Member

Shouldn't you just be charging the tax rate for your area?

As an example:
    When customers come to your town and shop at a local store they don't get charged different tax ratesaccording to where they live, but they get charged the tax rate where they purchase the item.

ASPDNSF Staff - Jon is offline Senior Member

You have a couple of options.

If you want to use the existing zip code lookup methods, you could set ZipCodePrefixLength to "8" (not "5"), then append a suffix of the first-three characters of the county name. For example, 43085FRA for Franklin County. This would require some work to prompt for a County, and concatenate the zip and county names together, but it could be done.

If you want to use a tax service, you would replace the existing database calls to the getZipTaxRate stored procedure with a call to your web service.
    Jon Wolthuis

Ash is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by ASPDNSF Staff - Jon View Post
    If you want to use a tax service, you would replace the existing database calls to the getZipTaxRate stored procedure with a call to your web service.
    We tax at the locality level for our storefront too because we have consultants nationwide that are considered stores by the gov. We have to make all of our tax calls to an external Vertex installation for calculating tax by item. Changing the the lookup method itself isn't that hard, just make a new class and rewrite the tax lookup in shoppingcart.cs. But changing all of the screens where addresses get entered so you can capture county and store it as part of the address data can be time consuming. Not difficult per se, but time consuming.

osg2008 is offline Member

Our company runs Vertex for taxes and they have asked me if ASPDNSF can integrate with vertex. Any ideas?

chrismartz is offline Senior Member

What was the end result for this? I am looking to do this in V9 but need to figure out where to put a drop-down with my list of counties that I put in a separate table with their tax percentage.