Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Vat Question

supergriff is offline Senior Member

Default Vat Question

A little story on enabling VAT.....

-------------

I've looked through all the threads on VAT, I've implemented exactly what they say, I've reinstalled the base version (no modifications) of ASPDNSF locally (version ml.7.0.2.3 c#, no source), and..... nothing worked...

I played around with all the appconfig settings, setting the values as indicated in the many other threads on this topic...

I could get the drop downs to display, and 'ex vat' / 'inc vat' to display next to the price, but I could not get the price itself to be modified (excluding should have shown the price in DB, including should be price in DB * 1.175).

The price was ALWAYS the same, in the product pages, order summary and the receipt pages. The price never changed whether I set it to display including or excluding VAT. When VAT was displayed in the order summary it was always £0.00.

-------------

What I hadn't seen explicity said (if i'm wrong, please show me?!) is that you actually need to:

Change the 'Goods' Tax Class to be 'VAT'.
    In 'edit countries' set tax in the VAT column (was Goods) to 17.5%
    Make sure 'Admin_DefaultTaxClassID' is set to 1 (unless the ID for VAT is not 1)

Then, with the correct settings in AppConfig, it works!!.... wasted god knows how long trying to get this working when I didn't even have the basic settings sorted!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As I'd not seen it detailed anywhere, I'd assumed VAT was not needed to be set up as a Tax Class etc, I thought it would just work once you set the app config variables which all the threads on this seem to focus on...

My appconfigs if anyone in UK is still struggling:
    VAT.Enabled to true
    VAT.HideTaxInOrderSummary = true
    Country id = 80
    VAT.DefaultSetting: 1
    VAT.AllowCustomerToChooseSetting=false

These, along with the other settings above should give you a site that displays prices inclusive of VAT (you must insert prices into DB WITHOUT VAT), does not give the user a choice of how to display them, hides any other mentions of taxes (other than VAT) in the order summarys while checking out, but does show the VAT amount of the order in the summarys.

... just for my sanity, can someone confirm the above is correct, as it's 5.50am and I'm preeeety tired?

BFG 9000 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by supergriff View Post
    Change the 'Goods' Tax Class to be 'VAT'.
    That's not strictly required - but it won't do any harm.
    Everything else you have looks good though.

TTFN

BFG