Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: How to prevent new USPS Shipping names

wkeithg is offline Member

Default How to prevent new USPS Shipping names

Effective 7/28, the USPS has decided it needed to add the (R) after Standard Post and Media Mail, which has negated my ShippingMethodstoPrevent AppConfig. How do I prevent Standard Post (R) and Media Mail (R) from displaying? Coding Media Mail<sup>®</sup> and U.S. Postal Standard Post<sup>®</sup> in the AppConfig doesn't work.

Oh, and what have they decided to call Priority Mail?

Thanks.
    Last edited by wkeithg; 07-28-2013 at 08:20 PM.

Classic_Exotic is offline Member

I am having the same issue with a large number of unwanted international services appearing in the checkout area - anyone have a solution to this? We can't be the only two people with this issue....
    Classic & Exotic Service, Inc.
    Specialty Parts For Prewar Cars
    www.classicandexotic.com

wkeithg is offline Member

Copy the 'names' of the unwanted shipping options and paste them into the ShippingMethodstoPrevent AppConfig. It works.

Classic_Exotic is offline Member

That does indeed work - thank you.
    Classic & Exotic Service, Inc.
    Specialty Parts For Prewar Cars
    www.classicandexotic.com

pascal0828 is offline Junior Member

Does anyone know how I could rename these shipping methods as they come in? We have customers who think they are going to get their products in 1,2,or 3 days because of the new naming conventions. We just want it to say "Priority Mail" or "Standard Post".

John Morrison is offline Junior Member

The string that worked for us goes something like this..

U.S. POSTAL PRIORITY MAIL 3-DAY<SUP>™</SUP>

We had to append U.S. POSTAL to the front of the service names.

The new USPS options have created some confusion for our customers and I am sure they same is happening to any AspDotNetStorefront users that used the old priority mail service option.

USPS now gives unique Priority Mail shipping options in their rates quoted. These are based on the delivery zones as calculated by the shipping source to destination. Its a very brilliant marketing ploy in how they will try to entice users to choose USPS over other options. Why pay for a high price ups 2 day when USPS priority mail just gave you a 2 Day expectation for a fraction of the cost.

Here is the break down.
    USPS added 2 more priority mail options to make a new suite of 3 base priority mail services, only one of which is quoted to a customer depending on the distance of the shipping source and shipping destination.

The possible options are now.

Priority Mail 2-Day. If your customer gets this it means that they are in a 2 day zone.
    Priority Mail 3-Day. 3 day zone.
    Priority Mail. possibly greater then 3 days.

There are two potential serous problems with this.

1. If you only allowed Priority Mail with the new TM symbol and the customer is in the 2 day or 3 day zone you wont show any Priority Mail option!

2. The problem with this for our customers that used the old USPS Priority Mail as their base quote is that USPS has now set an expectation to the customer that is as little as 2 days. This can become a serious problem if your drop shipper doesn't actually use USPS or if your drop shipper has multiple warehouses and your default one is not the true shipping source..

This new option is really a mixed blessing as customers will be pleased to see a cheap fast option but they will only remain please if the retailer can truly live up to that expectation. If they can't then this will be a severe detriment to the retailer's brand.

If people are unsure that they can manage these new expectations and don't want to risk it, then for now I recommend they switch to "Standard Post" and turning off the Priority Mail options. Just as importantly if they want to highlight this new expectation they they need to allow all three shipping options to be shown as USPS will only return the correct one.

I hope I have made this understandable.

batteryguy is offline Junior Member

Are you also experiencing that USPS is no longer presenting Flat Rate Boxes as a ship method for domestic shipments?